Interac e-Transfers† are a fast, convenient, and secure way to send and receive money directly from one bank account to another. You don't even need to know the recipient's banking information. Interac e-Transfers are easier than using cheques, more secure than cash, and cost much less than sending a wire.
Using online banking, mobile web banking, or our mobile app, you can send money to anyone with:
- an email address or mobile phone number.
- a bank account with a Canadian Financial Institution.
- online banking access.
NOTE: Recipients do not have to have Interac e-Transfer capability, even though the sender does.
Recipients are notified by email and/or text message when the transfer has been sent, and in just a few clicks, the money is in the account.
Your personal information is always secure because you don't share any of it with the recipient of the funds. You don't need to know the recipient's bank account number, and they never see yours.
The only information exchanged is an email address, mobile phone number, or both, and a security question that you create and share with the recipient.
Send an Interac e-Transfer Expand/Collapse
You can send up to $3,000 with an Interac e-Transfer. The recipient does not have to have Interac e-Transfers set up, but they need to have online banking with a Canadian financial institution.
- Log in to online banking
- Select transfers and choose send Interac e-Transfer from the left-hand menu
- To begin using Interac e-Transfers, select edit sender profile and enter your information
- To add a new Interac e-Transfer recipient, select edit recipients and then add recipient
- Create a security question. Be sure to let the recipient know the answer to the security question (but don't send it with the transfer)
- Select send Interac e-Transfer, enter the amount and the recipient information.
It may take 30 minutes or more for an Interac e-Transfer to be sent. The recipient will receive the email or text message containing instructions. When the Interac e-Transfer has been either completed or declined, you will be notified through email, text message, or both, whichever you chose.
Please note that the Interac e-Transfer funds are withdrawn from your account as soon as you send the e-Transfer.
Receive an Interac e-Transfer Expand/Collapse
You can receive up to $10,000 in an Interac e-Transfer.
- You'll receive a notification via text message or email. the notification will include:
- Sender's name
- Transfer amount
- Expirey date
- Message from sender (optional)
- Links and directions to assist in the deposit of the electronic transfer
- Select the link in the notification. You will be taken to the Interac website and asked to select your financial institution.
- Log in to online banking or mobile banking.
- Answer the security question.
- Accept or decline the transfer.
- Choose the account to deposit funds to.
- Add an optional message to the sender and confirm the transfer.
- An Interac e-Transfer receipt will display.
Cancel an Interac e-Transfer Expand/Collapse
An Interac e-Transfer can only be cancelled if the transfer status has changed to ‘Recipient Notified'.
To cancel an Interac e-Transfer:
- Log in to online banking
- Select transfers and choose pending Interac e-Transfers
- Find the transfer you wish to cancel and select the cancel button
- Choose the account in which to deposit the reclaimed funds
- Select continue
- Review your information and select confirm to cancel the transfer
Dollar Amount Limits Expand/Collapse
|For Sending an Interac e-Transfer|
|For Receiving an Interac e-Transfer|
Expiry Dates Expand/Collapse
The Interac e-Transfer text or email message that's sent to the recipient will have the expiry date included as part of the Interac e-Transfer information.
Interac e-Transfers expire 30 days after they are sent.
- After 30 days, the recipient will not be able to accept the funds. The sender will receive an email or text message with instructions to re-deposit the funds.
- If the sender doesn't manually cancel the transaction within the following 30 days (i.e. 60 days from the day it was originally sent), the funds will be credited back to the sender by ACU and a fee will be charged.
If a recipient declines your Interac e-Transfer, you will receive an email or text message notification.
To re-deposit your funds from the declined transfer, you must cancel the transfer on the Pending Interac e-Transfers page. This will return the funds to your account. Please note that the fee for initiating the Interac e-Transfer is not refunded.
Transfers - Service Fees Expand/Collapse
|Self serve (Online/Mobile/Telephone Banking)||Varies by account package|
|Full service using ACU staff*||$5.00|
|Automated transfer to cover cheque||$3.00|
|Interac e-Transfer (sending)**||$1.00|
|Interac e-Transfer (receiving)**||free|
*Applies to requests done over the phone with ACU staff
**Standard data or text messaging rates may apply