At Assiniboine Credit Union, being a values-based financial co-operative is at the heart of everything we do. It’s who we are. And it’s making a difference in the lives of thousands of Manitobans.
With 20 branches in Winnipeg as well as a branch each in Gillam and Thompson, we are here to serve our community.
Values-based banking reflects our commitment to doing business in a way that is financially sound and socially, environmentally and ethically responsible. It speaks to the value we see in using our skills and resources as a financial co-operative to help foster self-reliant and sustainable communities. It explains why we take care to consider the impact of business decisions on our employees, our members, the communities we serve and the environment.
We adhere to a set of International Co-operative Principles and CSR is embedded in our Mission Statement, and in our Core Values of co-operation, integrity, respect, accountability and excellence.
Anchoring our commitment to Values-based banking is our co-operative and democratic structure. As owners and stakeholders, our 112,806 members and 520 employees have a say in how their credit union is run and are invited to exercise their democratic rights at our Annual Meeting. Our democratically elected Board of Directors is accountable to our members and committed to governing ethically, transparently, and in the interest of member owners and other stakeholders. Members are kept well informed on a timely basis with, among other things, our award winning asterisk member newsletter and our Annual Report.
As a member, you can feel good about being part of a company that is committed to the triple bottom line of people, planet and prosperity. By choosing to do your banking with us, you are helping build better communities for yourself and your neighbours. You are our partners in CSR.
Building on this strong foundation, we are focused on the following five key CSR areas of action:
- As a community-based financial co-operative, we believe that everyone should have access to financial services.
- Our commitment to community investment helps build strong and vibrant communities that are good for people and good for business.
- Good companies appeal to quality people, so it’s no surprise that our fair hiring and employment practices have helped attract some of the best people in the business.
- We employ sound environmental practices because we recognize that our long-term social and economic well being depends on the well being of life-supporting ecosystems.
- By taking a leading role in offering socially responsible investments we provide members with the opportunity to put their money where their values are.